Beard is a sign of masculinity, implies maturity and exudes confidence in male. Scientifically speaking, beard hairs are maintained by male hormones, testosterone and di-hydrotestosterone. The beard hairs appear after puberty when the hormones become active. Each individual has his unique pattern of beard which is determined by his genetics. Some have thick and coarse beard hairs, while some have very fine brown hairs. Unfortunately, some individuals, despite reaching adulthood don’t seem to grow adequate hairs and in adequate density. Such individuals are good candidates for beard transplantation.
In this procedure, hairs are transplanted in the beard region after extracting hairs from some other part of the body most commonly from the scalp by FUE or the FUT method. It is also called facial hair restoration or beard reconstruction.
- Men having very less or no beard at all due to genetic reasons.
- To increase the density of existing hairs and make it fuller and coarser.
- Loss of beard hairs due to trauma or burns.
- Long standing alopecia areata which is not responding any medical treatments.
- Scarring alopecia due to folliculitis decalvans, dissecting cellulitis, DLE and other skin conditions.
- After cleft lip repair.
- Sex conversion.
How does it work?
Hairs taken from other part of the body can be used to create new beard or make the existing beard denser and fuller. Usually scalp donor site is chosen using hairs similar in texture and colour to normal beard hairsand then transplanted into the beard area. The shape of the beard can be decided as per the availability of grafts and the aesthetic demand of the patient.
Get a free Assessment Report
Based on the relevant information, we tailor Hair Transplant assessment report for each patient helping him to make an informed decision.
Steps of Surgery
The goal of beard transplantation is often set by the patient. Using the patient’s guidelines, the areas to be transplanted are marked out using a surgical marking pen with the patient in a seated position. The markings are checked for symmetry between the two sides. Measurements are used to help ensure symmetry.
4-5 sample grafts are extracted and the average length of the grafts is calculated. Slits are made in the desired beard region using customized Cut-to-size blades (CTS). The slits are placed in the most aesthetic manner.
The procedure involves similar steps as in FUE or FUT. The pre-existing hair density is calculated using hair analysis software. Normal density of 40-80 hairs/sq cm is desirable and looks natural. Number of grafts required is calculated accordingly. Normally 2000-2500 grafts are necessary for a good aesthetic result. Grafts are harvested from the back of the scalp by follicular unit extraction(FUE) or strip method.
The grafts are then implanted using advanced implanters in the pre-made slits. The direction of the beard hairs is decided according to the individual’s requirement and pre-existing hairs if any in the beard region.
- Few patients may feel numbness around mouth and difficulty in opening mouth due to the effect of anaesthesia. Hence, they are advised to take juices and fluids for 1 day. Then semi-solid foods on 2nd day.
- For the first 5 days, the areas transplanted must be kept moist. This helps to decrease the scab ofrmation and allows the hairs to set properly, helping assure the maintenance of proper angulation of hair growth.
- Antibiotics and analgesics (for the donor area) are given for seven days.
- Shaving is not permitted until the eighth day.
- Transplanted hairs start to regrow by the fourth month, and can be shaved or allowed to grow out.
- Most patients are satisfied with the initial density from one procedure but a secondary, touch-up procedure can be performed after 1 year to create further density.
- Bumpiness or irregularity of skin can happen in the trasnplanted area especially goatee and moustache area.
- Improper direction of grafts when not placed in ultra-acute angles. However, with proper technique and usage of smallest slits, these complications are almost nullified.
- Mild redness and slight swelling in the facial area for a few days after the procedure, is common and will reduce in 2-3 days.
Cost Of Beard Hair Transplant
Beard hair transplant is gaining popularity nowadays. Since, it requires a lot of artistic skill with medical expertise hence, it is always recommended to go to a surgeon who is skilled and well-versed with the procedure. The cost per graft is normally more than the one extracted in any other hair transplant modality but here it’s not because of the complexity of the extraction but the designing of the slits on the face in a way where it looks aesthetically pleasing. The cost may also vary on the basis of the surgeon’s accreditation.
I started facing hair loss at the age of 26 but it was not very noticeable. But at 29 the hair loss progressed very quickly and crown almost became empty. And further my hair line receded quickly. Now at the age of 31 I started looking very old. I tried many medicines like homeopathic etc etc but nothing seems to work. Then I started searching for my options and finally decided for a hair transplant.
I can see good results post-transplant. Overall good. As suggested, I may go for further transplant for crown area. I am currently taking 6 months cyclical therapy again to stop hair fall. Then will take the decision accordingly. I can say I would prefer someone for A K Clinic. As it is giving person the way to live more happily..?
"Had a hair transplant at AK Clinics under care of Dr KAPIL DUA. And after treatment it has been 3 month now and I have very much inproved growing hair. He is best surgeon ever seen and very experienced in this art. They also provided very good atmosphere while surgery. With his experience he gave very confident to his patients while surgery. (Hair Transplantation)
"After talking to Dr Kapil I have decided to go for a hair transplant surgery which turned out to be very good. Total of 6000 grafts were transplanted. The density was medium density. The procedure was FUE without any scar. The procedure was by done both Dr Kapil and Dr Aman. I strongly recommend anyone who is looking for a FUE surgery in India."