Hair Transplantation is surgical procedure in which hair follicles are taken from permanent zone Donor Area and are implanted in the bald area known as "Recipient Area". This technique is based on the concept of redistribution of hair to achieve cosmetic density. This density can never be same as natural density but cosmetically looks same.
According to 'The Hair Society', 35 million men and 21 million women experience hair loss. It can devastatingly affect a person's confidence. Most people go for a lot of treatments without much guidance but best results are seen with only qualified hair specialist doctors. Medical treatment & 'Hair Gain Therapy' are generally first line of therapies but when the baldness appears i.e. when scalp becomes visible, the best treatment is to go in for Hair Transplantation.
Hair transplantation has been considered as the gold standard for managing androgenetic alopecia in both males and females for over 60 years, the technique has also gained popularity for reconstruction of aesthetic hairline, beard, moustache and for restoring eyebrows and eyelashes as well in the recent years.
We at Ak Clinics, leading hair transplant clinic in Delhi offer quality hair transplant service to our patient under the supervision of our chief hair transplant surgeon Dr, Kapil Dua. If you have suffering from baldness or hair fall come and consult with our best hair transplant surgeon in Delhi for better advice.
Hair transplant surgery is one of the most trending cosmetic surgeries for it completely natural results. But due to immense popularity lot of unethical practices are also prevailing. It has become more important than ever before to visit a good hair clinic to know the cause of hair loss and the treatment options best suitable for your condition.
You can get this procedure for following medical & aesthetic indications:
- Male pattern (MPB) and female pattern baldness (FAGA)
- Scarring alopecia
- Traction alopecia
- Beard reshaping
- Scar reconstruction - Burns/Injury scars
- Long standing cases of Alopecia Areata
- Hairline corrections
- Moustache reshaping
- Eyebrow and eyelash transplant
- Revision hair transplant
Once the surgery is planned, you need to prepare for the procedure. Make sure to have a detailed discussion about the pre-procedure requirements.
- Must give your detailed medical history including any medications, drugs or herbs that you may be using & your lifestyle, addictions and allergies.
- Stop using Minoxidil or taking any non-approved drugs or alcohol at least 7-10 days before the surgery.
- Stop smoking if possible as it remarkably affects your overall results. But if you do share it with your doctor so that he plans your surgery day accordingly.
- Do not take aspirin or any blood thinning medicines at least 4 days before the surgery.
- Get all the routine blood tests done.
- Have a good sleep a night before and a full breakfast on the day of the surgery.
- Shampoo your hair properly preferably night before & on the morning of surgery.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothes or buttoned t-shirt which can be taken off easily.
If you are planning for a hair transplant, the first step would be to know if you are a candidate or not. To know that and to make sure that you are going in the right direction, you should:
- Look for the dedicated clinic set up incorporating all the advanced techniques and specialized instruments. Beware of quacks and marketing terms like "scar less surgery, no incision, no cutting, hair-multiplication or no blood".
- Go for detailed counselling session with the surgeon to know everything about the cause of your hair loss; and to know if hair transplant is the best of treatment in your condition and its limitations. Also preferably take other decision makers in your life for this session so that they are also clear about the procedure.
- Your doctor would want to do a hair analysis test for you to know the total grafts per sq.cm. that can be extracted from donor area. Similarly, for the recipient site he will plan the hairline if included and the distribution of grafts in a way which gives the best cosmetic density.
- Discuss about the hair transplant cost, remember Cheapest is not always the best choice especially when it come to your health.
- Insist on proper demonstration and counting of extracted grafts.
- Choose your surgeon wisely. Look for well-trained hair transplant surgeon with appropriate qualification and years of experience and if possible, with excellence in the same field.
- Have realistic expectations & convey that to your surgeon. It is just the rearrangement of your already existing hair so must share which area you prefer to cover, or whether you want coverage or density.
- Check for the condition of the Operation Theatre: It should be safe, hygienic with presence of emergency drugs and emergency management plan.
- Discuss which is best suitable technique for your case FUE, Bio-FUE TM, FUT, or combination of any of these.
Hair transplant is a time consuming procedure so it is very important that you reach the clinic at the appointed time. You will be asked to change into the dress provided by the clinic and then prepared for the surgery.
- After deciding the final desired hairline and total number of grafts, you will need to sign the final consent.
- Photographs will be taken to record the clinical profile for assessing the results in future.
- Your doctor will give you some medicines to ensure your comfort and safety during the surgery.
- The trained nurse will check your vitals - Pulse and Blood pressure.
- Your hair will be trimmed off according to the decided method of surgery. You can go for partial trim, full trim or no trim after cussing your options with your doctor.
- You might need to color your hair if there are white hair to improve their visibility for the surgeon.
- After the preparation, you will be taken to the operation theatre and made to lie down on your back for the surgery.
- You may be allowed to take breaks intermittently.
- Once the surgery is over, your scalp will be cleaned properly, photographs will be taken and donor area will be bandaged.
- After your surgery, your scalp will be tender and your surgeon will give you some painkillers, antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications.
- You will have to spray normal saline over the transplanted hair after every 1 hour for first 2 days and then after every 2 hours for next 5 days.
- You should avoid vigorous exercise for first 2 weeks, after which you can resume your light exercises till 3 weeks.
- You may be advised some medical therapy after the procedure especially for your existing hair.
- You will have to wear a surgical cap for 3 days and a headband for 7 days to prevent any swelling over the forehead.
- You will be washing your head after 7 days of the surgery by coming to the clinic.
- You should keep in mind that the transplanted hair, fall out usually 2 to 4 weeks after the surgery. You can start seeing the regrowth after 3-4 months, you can expect 40% of results after 6 months. It will take almost 12-18 months to see the final outcome of the surgery.
Like any other surgery, hair transplant can have some complications if not done properly or if proper post-operative care is not taken. However, the risk of it being life-threatening is extremely rare and are related to complications which are common to any other surgery.
- Pain during/ after surgery
- Donor site scars
- Low density
- Poor growth
- Postoperative hiccups
- Swelling of the forehead
- Poor hairline
- Temporary hair loss (shock loss)
Hair Transplant Technique
Hair restoration methods have evolved over the years and continuous, untiring work and research by many physicians has led to significant advancements in the techniques. Here are some well-established techniques are that we used for hair transplant in Delhi:
FUE entails taking grafts one by one & implanting in bald area leaving tiny dot like scars.Learn More
Follicular unit Transplant
Strip technique is the preferred technique for patients with higher grade of baldness.Learn More
This technique aims at reducing out of the time for grafts resulting in better results.Learn More
Non shaven FUE
This is an improvised FUE technique in which there is no need to shave the donor area.Learn More
Robotic FUE (ARTAS)
This is one of the latest techniques that automates the hair transplantation procedure.Learn More
Our trademark technique offering better results & quick recovery.Learn More
Steps Of The Surgery
Local anesthesia blocks the pain sensations over the scalp or any other body site that is operated during hair transplantation. It can be either injected into the skin or applied topically as a cream.
Slit making is the process where a surgeon makes spaces in the site where grafts need to be implanted. This is a crucial step as the direction, angulation and density is decided during this stage.
Extraction is the process of removing grafts from the donor area. The expertise of the surgeon plays a major role in this process as this is where the quality grafts for the recipient site is obtained.
Implantation is the process of placing the grafts in the pre-formed pockets as planned by the surgeon. This step is passive as compared to other steps and can be done by trained staff.
Hair Transplant Cost
The cost of the hair transplant surgery is calculated as cost per graft or cost per follicle. The number of follicles or grafts is decided by your surgeon based on your grade of baldness and expectations. The total cost per grafts can become less if more number of grafts are needed.
The cost of hair transplant surgery will depend on :
- Location of the clinic
- Reputation of the clinic
- Surgeon's qualification, expertise and competence
- A national/ International board certified surgeon may charge more
- Total number of grafts/ follicles
- Method of surgery - DHT, FUE, FUT
- Grafts extracted from the beard or other body site may be charged more than the ones extracted from the scalp
Difference Between FUE/FUT/DHT
|Shaving of the head needed||Shaving of only the donor strip site||Shaving of the head needed|
|Local anesthesia||Local anesthesia||Local anesthesia|
|Slit-making is done based on the total number of grafts needed|
|Individual hairs are removed from donor area one at a time||Hair bearing skin is removed from scalp and the gap is sutured together. The strip is then divided into grafts||Simultaneous extraction and implantation|
|Implantation done after extraction||Implantation done after strip excision||Done simultaneously with extraction|
|Minimal, tiny dot like scars||Linear scar||Minimal, tiny dot like scars|
|Minimally invasive||Invasive||Minimally invasive|
|Minimal bleeding||More bleeding||Minimal bleeding|
|Graft extraction entirely by surgeon||Graft dissection and silvering by trained technicians||Graft extraction entirely by surgeon|
|Less wastage||Comparatively more wastage||Less wastage|
|No dehydration of grafts||Dehydration might happen||No dehydration of grafts|
|Out of body time is less as compared to FUT||Out of body time for grafts is more as the dissection takes time||Out of body time for grafts is the least as compared to both FUE and FUT|
|Body hair can be used as grafts||Cannot be used for body hair extraction||Body hair can be used as grafts|
|No suture||Requires suturing||No suture|
|Minimal post- operative pain or discomfort||Post-operative pain but can be managed.||Minimal post- operative pain or discomfort|
|Lesser risk of infection||More chances of infection||Lesser risk of infection|
|Faster healing||Healing takes time||Faster healing|
|Can be done in almost all cases||Can be done in almost all cases||Better for lax scalp, older men and patients with reverse hairloss|
|Moderately expensive||Least expensive||Most expensive|
|Time consuming procedure||Time consuming procedure||More time consuming|
Get a free Assessment Report
Based on the relevant information, we tailor Hair Transplant assessment report for each patient helping him to make an informed decision.
Why Choose AK Clinics for Hair Transplant?
Known as pioneers in the FUE technique, AK clinics has been delivering great results since 2007. We thrive to provide the highest quality results at affordable costs with our highly trained and experienced surgeons and team. Hair transplant at AK Clinics is done using our trademarked Bio-FUETM technique which offers excellent results. It is a long term customised plan for hair restoration for our patients. The hair follicles are extracted by our special technique along with administration of growth factors into the scalp also known as ( Bio Therapy). Bio-therapy helps in boosting the hair growth process, facilitates faster healing and improves the texture of the hair, giving the most optimal results from the surgery.
We also aim to provide the best quality in every step of your surgery in our ultra-hygienic OTs in the following ways :
- Virtually pain-free local anesthesia.
- Innovative and customized slit making using CTS ( cut-to-size) blades, causing less trauma or bleeding.
- Best quality extraction from the safe zone using blunt punches with wastage less than 3%.
- "First-out-First-in" technique for implantation to get the better yield and results.
- Minimum out-of-body time of grafts .
- Exact number of grafts given by counting.
- Minimal dehydration or mechanical trauma.
Blog/Case Studies/Success Stories
Before/After Hair Transplant
I started facing hair loss at the age of 26 but it was not very noticeable. But at 29 the hair loss progressed very quickly and crown almost became empty. And further my hair line receded quickly. Now at the age of 31 I started looking very old. I tried many medicines like homeopathic etc etc but nothing seems to work. Then I started searching for my options and finally decided for a hair transplant.
I can see good results post-transplant. Overall good. As suggested, I may go for further transplant for crown area. I am currently taking 6 months cyclical therapy again to stop hair fall. Then will take the decision accordingly. I can say I would prefer someone for A K Clinic. As it is giving person the way to live more happily..?
"Had a hair transplant at AK Clinics under care of Dr KAPIL DUA. And after treatment it has been 3 month now and I have very much inproved growing hair. He is best surgeon ever seen and very experienced in this art. They also provided very good atmosphere while surgery. With his experience he gave very confident to his patients while surgery.
"After talking to Dr Kapil I have decided to go for a hair transplant surgery which turned out to be very good. Total of 6000 grafts were transplanted. The density was medium density. The procedure was FUE without any scar. The procedure was by done both Dr Kapil and Dr Aman. I strongly recommend anyone who is looking for a FUE surgery in India."